Sunday, May 19, 2013

King Of the Bay Ski Race 2013

Today my Dad and I teamed up to compete in The King Of the Bay Ski Race which was mainly a doubles race as that's where the prize money was weighted .
It is a fantastic race starting at Stella canoe Club and you race the entire length of the harbour and out the Durban harbour mouth. Once out in the ocean you head North for 6km then turn and head back to the finish at marine lifesaving club.
We had a great start and managed to stay with the front group throughout the harbour section and then pushed the pace towards the turn marker but I miscalculated where the turn buoy was and Brandon & Stu made their move,we lost about 50 m and couldn't close on the two youngsters but managed to hold the gap.Overall we had a strong race but not enough to take the win.
I really enjoyed paddling/racing with my dad even if he is 61 he races like a 20 yr old and have to respect him for that.( I wonder if I will be that strong at his age) # respect.
Hats off to Stella & McCarthy Toyota Durban North for a well organised race .
I Look forward to next year.

Training continues as SA marathons are coming up soon.

(Start of the King of the Bay race at Stella Canoe Club)

No comments:

Post a Comment